Friday, August 13, 2010

Traditional media sources: A message to graduates, a new style and why I don't buy into particular pieces of technology

I said I was going to hang up both my white boards in my room today.
I did that. Oh and there's also already 'writing' on both walls. I'm happy. Very, very happy. It's kinda pathetic but hey! Whatever makes my life easier and gets me organized. ;)

I also said, I was going to buy a new filing system.
I bought my new filing system from Target and I headed to Office Max for my Pendaflex Read-Tab filing folders. I'm really actually thrilled about these folders, hence the link. Purchased a box of 20 for about $15 the tabs are super easy to 'snap' into place.

The following are all articles from the Star Tribune. Like I said, I wanted to dig back into traditional media and know what's going on the communities that are near where I live.

First off, this has nothing to do with a "surrounding community", but this is something that is inspirational to me, so I'm rolling with it. The other day, I was talking about passion in my blog and I mentioned President Obama. I guess he's given two different speeches to the class of 2010. In the article I read, he states how "responsbility for your success rests squarely on your shoulders" and "there is nothing you can't accomplish." If you don't take responsibility for your own success or you don't dare to dream big, you're taking a back seat in your own life.

Taj Salon is a Salon and Spa that was founded in 2007 --they're based out of Minneapolis and they have one in Brooklyn Park. The owners are Jeanne Strandin, Andria Strandin and Tasia Ashton. The first letter in each of their names spells the name of the salon. Why am I including them in this blog? I need a new hair cut, but I'm afraid to do layers, go short or do anything fun my hair. Why? For one, naturally curly hair and layers isn't fun to deal with from what I can recall. Two, the last time I went short was 8th grade and when I grew my hair out again, it was my freshman year of college. Only took 3 to 4 years to get it long again.
They also currently offer discounts on their website for Holiday Inn and Aloft and all U of M students receive a discount on any full-priced retail.

Smartphones: the last thing I'm touching on today. Again, has nothing to do with my community, but it has everything to do with my "virtual" community, so I'm tossing it in the mix!
I used to have a Sprint contract, but that was after I had a cell phone with Verizon. My first cell phone with Verizon, I could play snake, had caller-id and...I was livin' the college life!! Are you asking me if had a text message plan back in 2003? No, I did not. Were they available? Text messaging was just becoming hot. Or at least from what I can recall.
I don't see myself leaving Verizon for Sprint again until I get a real job --I'm also on a family plan. And if when I get a real job, I don't know that I will switch.

Why should I have to pay more than $50 for a cell phone plan with a data package? To me, it seems ridiculous. Some people pay $100 a month for their plan. Well, it's their money, not mine. I just simply right now cannot afford to shell out $100 a month for all the technology that is out there. I get along just fine checking in on Twitter and Facebook every so often with my lovely Dell laptop.

I don't check in on foursquare, I rarely update my status of Facebook for very particular reasons and if I'm on Twitter, that's because I feel like interacting. Man, I sound horrible right now, almost like I have an attitude problem.
No, actually I don't. I'd much rather interact with people in real life, unless I can somehow impact people's lives with a purpose while interacting with them. A conversation here and a conversation there (virtually) is nice, but it loses its touch after a while.

All right. That's really all I have. My plan is to dump the pile of newspapers I have saved up since June. It's really not that big, I assure you, but I'm sad now because I can't use the filing system just yet that I bought. It will serve it's purpose eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment