Sunday, August 15, 2010

Not just a lifeguard

Note: This is a two-part series. You can read part two here.

I wear a whistle, swimsuit and wind-breaker pants and jacket to work. My hair is usually pulled back in a bun and I cannot stand it when my legs aren't shaved. I rarely wear makeup, even outside of the "office" and I deal with people of all shapes and sizes everyday.

I went through 32 hours of training to earn my lifeguard, first aid and CPR/AED certification. I battled for 3 weeks to get my current job. The process took extra long because of a change in department heads.

Less than 1 month into my job, I became a swim instructor and went through even more training. I now teach about 70 kids, weekly. I know I'm good at it because parents keep requesting for me to be their childs instructor and I'm complimented quite often.

I was promoted to a supervisor position within 4 months and when I supervise, I'm managing a team of 6-7 lifeguards, plus taking initative on deck with members.

I'm also required to attend monthly in-services which typically last 2 hours on Sunday evening where we have about 3 real-life scenarios we act out that could happen at our pool. The water is sometimes cold, but I have to get in because it's my job, it pays my bills and I find ways to make it fun! How? I volunteer myself as much as possible at in-services to be the victim, first or second rescuer. Why?
It makes me feel:
A) Valuable
B) It's a great refresher and I'm a hands-on person

I'm fortunate to be working with kick-a** team members. My boss works her tail off and she trusts us to do our job the right way. She's not what I would call an "eagle eye" and I plan on keeping in touch with her, even after I depart from my position.

What has this job taught me?
- You have the ability to develope others perceptions of your job by how you talk about it. I don't care what position you have with any company...being positive is attractive and sexy! You never know whose listening!
- People come to the business I work at for multiple reasons and I choose to accept that I have the ability to "make or hinder" their day.
- People will walk all over you if you don't set the record straight.
- Take yourself seriously, but make sure you can have fun, too, and give yourself credit where you can; no one is perfect but there's always room for improvement.

I can't find the article from Fortune magazine that inspired these thoughts of mine on their web site. But another blog post of mine coming up is actually the whole influence behind this post. Also, a new project I've put myself up for is also making me think in a different light. Maybe you've seen it? If not, check it out!

We've put ourselves in a tough, tough market because of how we've chosen to live. You can't blame just the government for putting us in the shoes we're in today. Hey...if the shoes fits...

Also, if you don't take control of your life, don't complain when someone else does. Need some fresh air but swear you don't have time for a 15 minute break? I disagree, unless you're working on a deadline and the project is due in an hour (in that case, why are you reading this?) and you're in hot water if you don't get it done. Someday, I might be living this scenario. Scary.

A quote from this article in Fortune (August 16, 2010 in the Special Adertising Section) that I pulled:
"...human resource managers report that workers want to feel that their employers truly understand them. For Scripps Health, that means designing a workplace built around the different life stages of its employees. 'If you focus on the things that really matter to people, rather than what HR might think matters, you'll get good results,' says [Vic] Buzachero."
Note: *Buzachero, corporate senior vice president for innovation, human resources, and performance management at Scripps Health, a not-for-profit health care delivery network based in San Diego.

*Also a direct quote from article in Fortune

No comments:

Post a Comment