Sunday, August 8, 2010

It starts in your heart

Lately, I've been playing that game called Tug of war and it's been opening my eyes to understand the predicaments the 2009 and 2010 college graduates have been put in.

I've kept somewhat in touch with a few former students I graduated with who are still very serious about public relations and wanting to get their hands dirty with a job that will pay them well.

I have automatic e-mails sent to me from Indeed.com throwing 100-300+ jobs at me for each area I chose to receive notices from in the following areas: event planning, communication and writing jobs.

There's a 50 percent chance I seem more interested in the communication positions because of the duties that go along with the positions, related to public relations. More often than not, my bachelors degree is one of the "minimum requirements" the applicant needs to have to be considered. Well, I have that!

However, in this economy, you're either going to step it up, or you're going to be 'lazy' and give some effort, but not give it your all even though it feels like you're doing everything you can. Maybe I'm biased. Maybe I'm tired of my wallet floating in the air. Maybe I need more encouragement.

Wait a second.

If someone is going to give me encouragement to go after something, that's great. But, if I'm not completely gungho about an opportunity than why I should even think about anyone encouraging me to go after something? If my eyes don't pop, if I'm not engaged, if I'm not learning, if I don't feel like I'm gaining more opportunity that will lead to doors opening, if I'm not on fire, if I'm not all-in, then I'm not doing it right.

That's what this economy needs! People who are passionate and love their jobs. But the passion begins with me and it begins with you. And once American has that, the economy will get back on its feet! A new fire that brings us back to life. A new reason to start living again and decrease the amount of wallets that are floating in the air. We, GEN-Y, are the new "baby boomers", technically.

Right now, I think we're too busy fighting over stuff that we have little control over. We're each small fish in a really big lake called government and we're eating each other alive. And look where it's gotten us. Every American family has different needs and if we each focused on how we can make our daily lives better and stop fighting over who spends more money on taxes, who pays more of this, who pays more of that, we'd be better off.
The control starts with us. But I don't think we "get" how to get to that point. Why? I think some of us are tired of being smacked around and we need someone to look at us and go "Hey! How's so and so going. You know, that thing you mentioned 5 months ago? How's that whole thing coming along?"

And if that person can't give the other person an answer, they need to make a list, just one, post it somewhere where they'll see it everyday and start what I'd like to call a movement. A movement in their own home.

So, we need to start at home and start thinking with our hearts and our passions. Not our wallets.

Love him or hate him, I read the speech President Obama delivered to the class of 2010. You can ultimately choose to not believe he's serious or not be inspired by him, as a person. But, you can't sit there and tell me that these words aren't true:

"It was 33-year-old Thomas Jefferson who wrote the Declaration of Independence; a 33-year-old Elizabeth Cady Stanton who organized the Seneca falls Convention, the first national women's rights convention; a 26-year-old Martin Luther King Jr. who began his journey to the mountaintop; and a 20-year-old Bill Gates who started one of the most transformative companies on Earth.

All of these Americans faced long odds. All of them faced doubt. Many grew up in times of discord and difficulty. Yet they knew that while America's destiny is never certain, our ability to shape it always is."

If I knew, even three years ago what I know now, I would have done things a little bit differently. My attitude would be different, I would have prepped for today differently.

And it's a new week. I have my list of things I need to do that are important for my own future. And by Saturday, I better have done what I need to do, or at least have the answers I need so I can see what the next steps are. If I don't step it up and do it, no one is going to provide the map for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment