Thursday, July 1, 2010

He was speaking out loud and I listened

At work tonight, I was sitting down taking a break to get off my feet as I am constantly doing something to help keep the chaos of the my working conditions as easy as possible.

As a lifeguard, I get the chance to think about a lot of different things when watching the water. Whether it's what I'm going to do when I get home, what is going on tomorrow or even something as simple as what my next step in life is, it's a great way to "declutter" the thought process. I just wish I could write everything down.

I thought about Prince Charming today. Where he is, what he's doing and when we'll meet. Heck! Maybe I already know the guy? I have no idea. But that'd be pretty sweet if I did wouldn't it?!
When I sat down to get off my feet for 10 minutes, this older gentleman came my way and was following his little boy whose I'm guessing about 2 years old. He looked at me and said "this is the hardest job ever."

He wasn't talking about my job. He was talking about being a dad. I didn't even have to think twice and I responsed (I think) with "I know it is." He then asked me if I have kids and I said no.

We talked about living the bachelor (bachelorette) life and he told me to enjoy my youth while I can.

I told him that when I was 19, I thought that by the time I hit the age I currently am, I'd be married and have at least one kid. He responded by saying "you know, all Minnesotan girls seem to be in such a rush to get married and have kids!" I gave him a look and responded by telling him that the older I become, I've grown wiser and I've learned that I'm still too selfish to have kids and that I barely even have time for my own [family] dog!! He laughed.

He ended the conversation by saying "wait until you think you're ready and then give yourself some more time and then start a family. Wait though...seriously wait and give yourself time. You'll wish you had listened to me if you don't. I love my wife and kids to death, but I wish I would have waited a bit longer." I think I agree with him for the most part.

For the remainder of my shift, I thought about kids and having my own. To top it off, I saw an adorable baby tonight. No more than 6 months old. Man, I lit up like a Christmas Tree.

Every so often, I'm not too sure about whether or not I want kids. I think because it's a HUGE responsibility and your freedom to be selfish is taken away however, I know that this is so not the case (how loving parents think) once having a child because I hear about it time and time again. Plus, when you've found the right person to build a family with, that helps. There's no way I could adopt and raise a child on my own. But kids can be the best thing to happen to you. I did a lot of thinking tonight and decided if I start a family within the next 5 to 7 years and have two kids (preferably back to back, maybe??), I'd be content with that.

I think that guy was supposed to come up to me tonight for a reason because I've been thinking about the future and starting a family...when the timing is right. :)

Spring to anything? Don't mind if I do! :)

Have a great weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment