Sunday, July 25, 2010

Summer: more lows than highs

For those of you that know me very well, you know my work schedule isn't "user friendly" . . . at all. I haven't had very many "high" (great times with friends/family) moments this summer because of something I decided was not necessarily more important, but more "needed."

I worked. Way. Too. Much. And it's nothing to brag about. I know this, because I have nothing to show for it.

This summer has been not taken advantage of in the correct way, from my own personal useage. It's nearly three-quarters done and what do I have to show for it?

Almost absolutely nothing.

* A couple of dates with my StepDad that included motorcycle rides; he's my person who I confide in and I'm lucky - no wait- beyond blessed to have him in my life. If I'm off doing something and he calls for whatever reason, I pick up the phone for him.

* A long-lost friend I reconnected with on Facebook, Densie Bachman (Densie Frenzel), married the love of her life July 10 this year. I've seen her twice this summer and only three times this year. I miss friends like her and I need to spend more time with my friends.

* I went over to my sister and brother-in-law's home last Sunday for dinner. I ended up chilling on the couch, had a few margaritas and a couple Pina Colada's with the family. It was the perfect night. We even watched "Family Man" and man, can I relate to that movie or what.
Note: Working and the things I have are not important to me; I value my relationships way more than a paycheck.

That's it. That's all I have for memories this summer. Otherwise, I've been job searching or trying to sneak some "me" time in there. I've worked myself to sickness --literally. This past Thursday I went into the doctor because I could have sworn I had strep throat. The test came back negative, but I was diagnosed with something else.

What I was diagnosed with kept me from going up north to Little Falls this weekend for a family fishing tournament called Blood On The Water. If someone doesn't have Fossum blood in a boat you want to fish in and you're not family, you can't participate in the tourney. We're pretty strict about it, but we have a blast. But because I worked myself to the point of jepardizing my own health, I had to stay home in fear of still being contagious.

So, now what? I'm really, really irritated with myself. I'm so ready for a change. I'm in dire need of one.

One thing I know I'm going to do without question? I'm taking at least one day off every week. My mind-set was "no, taking days off isn't an option. I need as close to 40 hours as I can get." But where has that got me?

I do know at least three jobs I've applied for have rejected my application. One of them was out-of-state and the other was techincally in-state, but probably would have required me to travel a little bit. The other, I don't recall.

You know, the sickest part of it all? I had complete control over it the entire time. Starting today, I'm taking control of my life again.

No comments:

Post a Comment