Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Sevans Strategy - I'm ready for you...if you're ready for me :)

When I was a little girl, I dreamed of being in the spotlight, on stage and in front of a crowd. Perfect example?

My Mom's side of the family has seven grandchildren and when the generations were able to come together all at once, we had Grandchildren's Week. Grandma put everything together and we had crazy, fun events: garbage dinners followed by a volleyball match on the beach to a day at Valleyfair, wolf howling and something to do with a secret menu --we literally picked something from the menu and you never knew what you were going to get. Example: a "horse stick" could have been a fork.
When I was as young as 4 years old I believe, we put on a talent show where our families had to 'buy' tickets to come see our show. The stage was on my grandparents porch facing The Lake of The Woods lake. I wish I had a picture for a visual.
The older girls, my sister Leah and cousin Sarah, chose a song and I never recall my two older cousins, David and Patrick ever joining us as it just wasn't their thing. We did this every year until I rememeber begging two of my cousins, Suzie and Emily to do one last show with me when I was 13. They are both younger than me. Leah and their older sister, Sarah helped us choregraph our dance to "Anytime You Need A Friend" by Mariah Carey.

I was very sad the last time we stepped onstage to do this peformance.

Well, I had my stage when I younger and I enjoyed my time when I could. I knew when I grew up, I wanted to be doing something fun for other people. Helping to better the community, meet the people whose lives I could help impact along the way and learn about other individuals' backgrounds.

One of those fun things I wanted to do? I wanted to be a singer. I told myself at the age of 10 that that is what I would do. So I joined choir, wrote songs, played the flute, bought myself a guitar, etc.

I'm still a singer, but I've never signed a record deal. I have however, been asked to a sign a song-writers recording contract through a contest I could have won, but felt it was fishy at the time (I was 15), so I never sealed the deal.

I then went onto college and finally chose Mass Communications as my major. Why not stick with the whole "mass audience" idea? I mean, that is what I enjoy...and I know I'm great with a stage and microphone (metaphorically speaking or not) when I've done my research.

I saw a tweet last week from @PRSarahEvans to send an e-mail to Sevans Strategy explaining two reasons why I'm a rockstar. Anyone could do this.

I had to be at work in less than 20 minutes...that meant out the door in five minutes, so I wrote quick five-sentence e-mail.

I now have an interview with the team of Sevans Strategy on Friday, July 16. It's been a while since I've been this excited, calm, yet entirely anxious.

Why? I've been following Sarah Evans now for 1.5 years on Twitter. I'm a huge fan of hers. I read her blogs, I watch her interviews she posts and I've watched her interview with Tim Jahn recorded back in January 2010. Her platform hits it on the head for me in what I want to do with my career.
Her new media consultancy, her platform, what she's created, what she stands for as a business woman, what she does daily and where she's looking to takes Sevans Strategy (at least from what I understand), including the newest "hippest" ways in social media; her visions are what I've found my own visions to be within the last year.
And my time to shine is just around the bend. I don't know who I'm up against. Quite frankly, I don't want to know because if this is truly meant to be, it's going to happen. I'm on fire.

I'm willing to pick my life up and move to Elgin, Ill., for this part-time fall internship. It's only 8 hours away from family. Not bad if you ask me. I've also done my research and if needed, I could ask to transfer to locations for my job to a site only 20 minutes North of Elgin, to continue working with the company I work for, so if at the end of the internship, I have a safety net if something doesn't evolve with or from Sevans Strategy.

As Sarah would say, "simple goals" and I'm adding "with a gigantic platform" to the phrase. I am SO not british, but I am on bloody hinges and ready for a whole new experience. I'm hungry, thirsty and this is a once in a lifetime experience.

1 comment:

  1. This SO rocks!!!!!! Can't wait for your interview. - Sarah

    ReplyDelete