Sunday, July 4, 2010

Hello Target Center

I don't like not making up my mind. I take social media and my industry seriously, but know that if you're not getting the right things done and you're not taking the time to get better at what you love, your visions fade and it's your responsibility to stay up to date with the times.

I'm currently concentrating on getting my 40 hours in a week at work and it's a struggle, especially since I have to work every day, literally. In June, I had 2 days off. Maybe 3. July? I don't even want to think about it.

Where is the time for family and friends? Is the economy getting worse? Is it slowly getting better? When I can put the brakes on job applications? When will the phone call happen? When will I sign a contract? When can I have my weekends back? I have a job that gets the bills paid for now and that's what matters.

I'd like to be positive and say the economy is ever so slowly coming back, but America keeps getting "bombed" with disasters and we as a country are not ready for them emotionally or financially and the governement doesn't have a spare $X to give to each "problem" so it can rebuild and clean up.

Do we as a country take responsibility for our actions, or are we just too hungry for the paycheck? Statistics apparently still tell the story that half of Americans (if not more) are not very happy with their line of work. We all know we're not taking it to our grave, yet it's a constant obsession.

My next thought is well I need my 40 hours, but I need experience in my field. I like getting into computer animation (slide shows, etc., (power point)) and I love the stage.

Ok. What are different angles I can take to being "on stage"? One of my mentors, Sarah Evans (@PRSarahEvans) built a new business in July 2009 - Sevans Strategy.

I can be doing behind the scenes work as well. I love getting my hands dirty; there's a reason I took shop class for 4 years. ;)
The amount of testostrone in the room didn't bug me. I like being on stage, but you can't be on the stage until you've proven that you have a reason to be there. Oh, I cannot act. But I love dancing and singing my heart out. These days, it's all about connections; who you know not what you know. We're all learning as we go.

A part of me is telling myself if I can't play with the big dogs quite yet, go behind the scenes of my creativity; you never know where the experience will take you. I think my goal this month will be to shadow someone who does stage work at the Target Center. I love music, I can't act to save my life, but I have a voice that I'm not afraid to use.

What do I have to lose?

No comments:

Post a Comment