Friday, July 16, 2010

Building and constructing your brand

I stole this phrase from someone who works in the social media industry, but I can't remember who unfortunately:

"Go for Noah, not the Ark."

I like it. Why? A couple of reasons:

1) It's catchy and anyone I tell this to usually has to have me repeat it. And then they don't get it. When explained, it takes them a while to process it and that's perfectly fine with me because the next time they see me, they're going to remember our conversation had to do with some whacky phrase and they might approach me to ask about it again. Who knows what conversation could spark from there!

2) It's not offensive, it's not meant to be offensive and it gets people thinking in a different way.

I'm also at another turning point in my life. And it has to do with the above phrase.

I follow Russell Herder (@russellherder) on Twitter and saw their tweet about an article they posted on their blog Building Business. They follow a blog called Construction Marketing Ideas and a blog of theirs caught my eye yesterday and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it much in the last 72 hours. In the blog, they layout six ground-rules for bloggers that I believe we should all follow. There are more "rules" out there, but I felt this post was very simple, forward and the guide-lines are so easy, even your Grandma could start her own blog and "get" it. ;)

The rules are so simple, the blog will probably having you say (out loud), "well, duh?!" Oh really? Well, if that is your reaction, take a look at how you've built your brand (blog).

I want to talk about the elephant in the room now: my blog does NOT, I repeat...my blog DOES NOT follow these rules and I've been thinking about the material I've posted. I could start over with a new blog. In fact, Arik Hanson (@ArikHanson) tweeted a few days ago this question: "if you could rename your blog right now, what would you title it?" I answered him within 5 minutes. If you're curious enough, ask me what I came up with. He liked the new title however, I don't know that I want to abandoned my baby: Spring To Anything.

In due time, I want to act on a simple solution of how I'm going to write about what intrigues my my own interests and obviously keep my audience in mind for the future, whether it be with this blog, or a new one, only time will tell. My gut is telling me to not build another blog. Why? Well, I'll save that for another blog post. ;)

Stay tuned folks!

1 comment:

  1. So what was your answer to Arik Hanson in regards to re-naming your blog?

    ReplyDelete