Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Don't play games with a girl who can play better

Let me introduce myself, again. My name is Rachel Ryan and I'm a Mass Communication major. I love, love, love, love social media, Switchfoot, Jeep Wranglers and helping people.

What I'm good at:
Time-management, SWOT, staying audience-focused, developing relevant pitches, communicating and writing my thoughts out and I'm a confident social media professional. I know Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Power Point very well. I get Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn --some people STILL don't understand Twitter. Oh, I'm also organized and in-depth researcher. For me, these go hand-in hand.

My dream jobs in social media consist of:

1) Doing contract work for Switchfoot. <-- I don't just listen to the lyrics they write, I de-code them. Ask anyone who knows me well enough. I'm not obsessed (I don't know their DOB's) and just recently learned all of the guys, except Jonathon Foreman, has kids. I pay attention to the music. The rest if I'm lucky enough, I will learn in time...as in when I get the opportunity to meet them.
I'm not the kind of person who snoops for information about people, unless it's for a job interview and that's a different story. I have a life, the clock is ticking and I'm passionate about this band so the day I get to personally meet them and hang out with them is the day my life will change...forever.

2) Working for Jeep. <-- I'm pretty much obsessed (it's a healthy obsession, so no worries) with Jeep Wranglers, specifically manuals, but love all the models. If I could, I'd blog and tweet about the experiences their customers have and get paid for it. ;) I have other things I want to do with Jeeps and it has absolutely nothing to do with Jeep.com either. My idea is still just an idea, but will eventually become a work in progress. ;)
I'll just say, we're a nation of builders and crafters and I'm very creative.

3) This isn't exactly a "dream job" but doing "contracting" work. I'm currently working with Sarah Hoffman and Robert Stanke. I'm on fire with these two and I'm looking forward to seeing what we can come up with as a team.

4) Being involved with the community I live in. This is done for me in two different ways.
First, if you volunteer your time somewhere or you have a project you're working on and you feel you have newsworthy information about what you're doing and you want the public to know about it (rememeber, to the rest of the world it's just "Tuesday"), you can use a platform I'm building. For more information about this, you may personally contact me: rachel.ryan09@gmail.com
Second, I like to help people find work (or perhaps even an internship) through connections I have and I'm not just talking about "Oh yeah?! Well I know this awesome celebrity who I tweet back and forth with --sorta kinda-- and I bet I can get you a job!" That's not how the world turns.
I'm willing to help people who are dedicated and passionate about what they do. My most recent encounter has been with Mr. Andrew Miller who you can also learn more about him here and here. I have never met the guy, but I feel we've become great friends already from 2,000 miles away. He's trying to land an internship with Fast Horse Inc. Vote for him --the competition ends Friday, June 15. That's THIS Friday!

To re-cap, Switchfoot, Jeeps, and Community Involvement. That's who I am. Oh and I don't mind getting dirty when the job description calls for it. I may be a girl, but don't play with a girl who can play the game better if you don't know what you're doing. ;)

This is me, these are my thoughts and your opinions are always welcome. Any questions you have about me? I'm an open book, within reason. It's always a pleasure being able to write what's on my mind and you learning from me and me being able to learn from you!

1 comment: