Thursday, May 27, 2010

Mizuno; moving forward with positive thinking

This is my running shoe. The brand name is Mizuno. It's perfect for me as I have low ankle bones and other running shoes I've tried have hurt or weren't soft enough or my feet couldn't breathe easy.

I need support, but don't want to be "weighed" down. I wanted a cute shoe and though it's pink, I gave in and bought them since I haven't had a good running shoe or a really good shoe that I could wear daily in...well, I can't remember.

I bought these back in January 2010. Best "daily" shoe ever.

Besides the reasons above, I needed a reason to not have an excuse to exercise.

Getting to the positivity point here in a second, just give me a minute. I ramble sometimes. Hey! At least I admit it! :)

If you haven't noticed lately, I have a few different "obsessions":
One of those is Switchfoot.
Another is Jeep Wrangler Sports. What's pictured is not my exact dream Jeep, but close enough.

The other which is actually the reason behind this blog post Peter Shankman. He's also known as @skydiver on Twitter.
By the way Peter, if you ever do read this blog, I think you are extremely knowledgeable not only in regards to just social media, but you've only traveled the globe for the last how many years and you've seen a lot of places, met a lot of people and done a lot of 'stupid' and 'smart' things such as your PR skydiving stunt. You take chances and have surrounded yourself with more opportunities than the average American ever will simply because you think but not too much. That's what more people need to do in this world.

That's also who I've been choosing to surround myself by recently. People who are willing to take chances...but smart chances. They have a back-up plan.

On page so and so of "Can You Do That?!" Shankman talks about doing various things to get the brain stimulated. One thing he does is he runs.

Tonight, I decided to follow his advice and get positive on my feet. I ran.
In fact, on Monday, I decided that I would do nothing but think positively this entire week.

I have a very rewarding job and I think I take advantage of it more than anyone else I work with in my department at my club. I put smiles on kids faces all the time, I don't have to shower before I go to work, I get to "goof off" while teaching lessons, time flies faster than it would if I were at a register, I make a decent living and I interact with members daily. Conversations are super easy to spark during family swim time considering the amount of students I have. It's ridiculously awesome. Corny, but true. :)
I've had members come up to me and ask me my story...as in my 'background' while lifeguarding because I appear older than everyone I work with. They now approach me when they see me and say hi.

My health could always improve, but I'm thankful to be in the state of health that I am. But that's another reason I went running tonight.

There's more, but I don't want to bore my readers. Afraid I've already done so with my thinking here tonight.

Question:
When you run, do you run outside or indoors? I couldn't for the life of me start out at a decent pace and I sure as hell couldn't keep up a decent jogging pace. I was all over the map with my speed and my dog didn't help at all. She's a runner for sure, but she also wants to sniff EVERYTHING. It's fantastic. If she has another dog to run with it's a different story.

My heart was pumping fast, my throat began burning, my legs felt the workout a little bit and the way I had my hair in a pony tail didn't help much, but it was a good 30-minute workout that I needed to change up my routine, which is another thing Peter Shankman advises in his book.

Indoor running (treadmill): I prefer this. I have to keep going, but I'm at a steady pace, constantly and I feel more of a burn after my 1.5 mile run is complete. However fast I complete it is exactly how long I take to reach my goal.

Outdoor running: I fade so quickly tonight and my workout was so inconsistent that it's made me feel like I've barely gotten the burn I wanted to and tonight I took 30 minutes to try and change up my routine. I failed mierably, but I tried.

The sun is setting and I think I'm going to go to bed early tonight so I can get up early tomorrow, turn on my Switchfoot tunes, head to Life Time Fitness, go running on a treadmill, do my weight-lifting, maybe meet up with a friend for lunch. I'm not sure what the rest of the day will bring.

All right folks. That's enough ranting about running and my thoughts for the night.

I have a date with an amazing book again tonight. You know what I'm talking about. If you don't, that means you should re-read part of this post. Seriously, I've never been more in love with a book in my life. Thank you Peter Shankman. Thank you very much! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment