Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sacrifing the present

"People sacrifice the present for the future. But life is available only in the present." - Nhat Hanh (Buddhist monk)

I do it everyday, or so it seems.

I think pretty far into the future more often than not and sometimes, I scare myself with how direct I am in my ways.

Examples:
What I thought at the of 17:
1) Graduate high school
2) Move off to college
3) Meet the love of my life while going to class and getting the work done to make the grade
4) Graduate College
5) Get engaged
6) Live the "white picket fence life"

Uhhhhhhh. *shakes head to wake self up*

WHAT? *blinks eyes*

Societies social norms are what I like I to call ANYTHING but normal. I am not in control of my destiny; I am only in the drivers seat when it comes to what direction I so choose to take. But even then, I'm not always in control...my gut and heart are though. I rely on more than just friends, family and mentors to bring me to the next intersection and guide me in the right direction. If you're not sure what I'm referring to here, I'll just be up front and say that I choose to just Believe and have Faith.

Each intersection can be as little as five seconds from each other or even 24 hours apart from each other. Maybe even more than that.

You know those subconcious thoughts you think on a daily basis. That's where your truth and decision making ultimately comes from.

I'm going a million miles an hour right now with my schedule and this is probably nothing in comparison to others who I'm connected to via Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. However, I'm not comparing myself. There's no need for this.

I try as often as I can to remind myself that I'm perfect just the way I am. Right here in this moment. I am here to be me and I'm not here to prove anything to anyone. Does that mean I'm not a hard worker? Nope. I want to ENJOY what I do, but still have time for friends, having fun and time to breathe. If you constantly have that mind-set of 'I have to prove this to s/he', you're never going to feel satisfied and I believe that that's no way for anyone to live; it's not a healthy way of life.

In May of 2009, I was "supposed to" (according to societies social norms) have a job all lined up and be making that $40K annually. I wasn't feeling entitled, but I was feeling pressured by others thoughts and opinions. That job I was supposed to have wasn't there. It still isn't.
You learn eventually, on your own, how to get over that hump and take life's punches for what they are. I'm not about to get all worked up or fuss about why I'm not making the dough. For me, it's not about that.

I love my job, even after days like today where there was a sick child in the pool.
I thoroughly enjoy my internship with BRIO; every single day I'm at this place is another chance to learn something new about the business of PR and how much I can continue to increase my search results as I report to both the PR Account Executive and PR Director.

So, now I ask you. Do you sacrifice the present for the future? No?

Then tell me what you would do if you woke up tomorrow with $0 to your name. #justsayin

1 comment:

  1. Okay, this is going to sound really, really lame, but here goes...

    If I woke up tomorrow with nothing at all - no money or anything - I might actually be relieved. I would view it as a completely fresh start. There truly is something to be said for starting over.

    And you are very correct in the point about not being able to control the future. We can steer the car, and in most cases control the speed, but we have no control of the car in front of us or behind us.

    Bob Stanke
    http://robertstanke.com

    ReplyDelete