Sunday, February 21, 2010

Pieces of my resume - a great "layout" to consider

I'm gonna "sell" myself to you and yet you only prefer 1 page of material, realistically? Okay, I know you'll accept two pages, as long as it's completely relevant to the position I'm applying for, but here my question: What do you want to see?

Well, I'll tell you what areas I could potentially show and tell you:

*My objective - to explain this in one sentence, for me, it would turn into a run-on sentence. I could do it the right way though, no problem!
*Education - simple enough
*Related/Work Experience - how is my background relevant to what you want in the perfect candidate
*Volunteer work - I want to do more; not because it looks good, but because I simply care
*Skills/Interests - what programs I know like the back of my hand (i.e. Microsoft Word)
*Activities - what personal experiences have I put myself through that allowed my character to build and add a different perspective to my outlook
*Related Coursework - I don't know why you'd be interested in this...shouldn't my education simplify this part?
*Honors/Awards - obvious
*Community Involvement - I know I don't need to know everything that's going on my community, but I bet you'd like to know what parts of the community projects that are going on intrigue me
*Campus Leadership/Involvement - University and/or Community College stuff
*Summary of Qualifications - what am I best at
*Memberships - PRSSA, etc...

There are similar categories here, I realize, but what I'm trying to get at is we all read words differently. For me, this was a picture painted of everything I could currently think of that would help me rewrite and present myself better and more in-depth on paper.

Just a thought! I mean, think about it. If you wanted to lose weight and just decided to go running at the gym and lift weights, is that really what your body needs? Or say your car needs a part replaced, but you need to figure out where specifically on/in the car you need to make a replacement. You're not gonna replace the whole windsheild if you just need a new set of wipers! Find out what your blue print is and go from there. It's always the best way to start anything out, or at least I think so!

P.S. No, I was never taught this in any class. This is just me looking at different angles and perspectives.

No comments:

Post a Comment