Saturday, February 6, 2010

Management; from my professional & personal stand-point

I woke up at 7:55 a.m. to teach my 8:55 a.m. private lesson. I knew I'd lay in bed for about 10 to 15 minutes, so I made sure to give myself that extra time I need. Today, was no exception.

I got ready and missed a phone call from my Life Time at about 8:15 a.m. It was one of the front desk employees whom I have a good relationship with. She left me a voicemail stating someone was there for swim lessons and that the Member told the front desk employee that her lesson was at 8:25 a.m. and had been there since 7:50 a.m. I called my colleauge back at about 8:35 a.m., just minutes before leaving my house and explained that I had an 8:55 a.m. lesson and that I'd be there in 10 minutes.

I get to the club and it's roughly 10 minutes before my lesson. I swiped in and talked to the two ladies at the front desk. Apparently my student was very upset, not thrilled and would be walking out to the front any minute as she changed from her swim suit back into her clothes and was apparently going to just leave.

I was expecting this person, my student, after I introduced myself to just begin snapping at me and have a very demanding tone, so I prepared for the inevitable.

I approached her and shook her hand explaining that there was a possible mis-communication between myself and the department head, even though I also received an e-mail the night before kindly reminding me of my 8:55 a.m. lesson.

My student didn't snap at me and she wasn't furious. If she was highly irritated, she hid it well.

As I listened to her side of the story, in my head I was thinking "Rachel, you can handle this much differently and further expand your explination as to what the rest of your morning entails. She'll understand it from that point of view." So, that's exactly what I did.

I explained that I also have 4 other lessons in the morning after hers is done and with Life Time's U-Swim School program, we have 5 minute 'breaks' between classes to talk to parents about their childs progress in the water. I explained I teach until 11:45 Saturday mornings and it would only make sense that we would begin her lesson at 8:55 a.m. because no matter what day we teach lessons, especially if it's in the morning, we never begin classes until typically 9 a.m., but we made an expection for this private lesson. I then said I had my suit on and I was ready to go and if we hurried, we could still get a 20-25 minute lesson in. She agreed and understood. I was thankful.

What I did? I apologized, explained myself and without even thinking about it I didn't even compromise her morning and allow her to leave empty handed. A part of Life Time's mission is to provide uncompromising quality within the Members experience and/or educational experience. This was a double whammy for me and I excelled within the experience with intregrity and a mission to not let her just walk away.

To end on a super high note, we had an awesome lesson and we had a few good laughs in between. I also figured out her experience in the water --she has none and I think she was embarrassed about this. This was awesome news to me because I now have the ability to really make a difference in her life and I'm excited about it! I also explained that it's never too late to learn how to swim and I have students who are 8 years old who cannot float without assistance and was quick to add in that no matter what age you are, every person progresses at their own pace. That made her much more comfortable. I encouraged her to practice outside of class so she could get as much out of these lessons as possible.

There was more to it, but I made all the right steps and she left with a huge smile on her face. That is the difference with Life Time Fitness. We're not a gym, we're "...a healthy way of life company." We strive for educational experiences, and we strive for nothing less than excellence within every opportunity.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you, Rachel... As a former manager, myself, I can see you are definitely one of those rare employees that knows the true value of customer service. Going out of your way to make the customer/client happy is a very important aspect to a job like your's. LTF is lucky to have somebody like you!

    ReplyDelete