Friday, January 8, 2010

Putting a filter...on your opinions?

Finding the "happy medium" is hard. But if you do it the right way, you gain respect from your peers and you feel better about yourself. Or maybe I'll have a different perspective at the end of this blog?

When I worked for Kwik Trip Inc., in Rochester, Minn., I was still a teenager and I remember applying for the job because my friend, now aquaintence, Chad Stokes worked at one also in the same town. He loved it and I just wanted a job cause I wasn't taking advantage of the work study on campus (yuck), but didn't feel I needed one.

I was hired less than one week after I interviewed with Joe Storks, who became my manager and was the store leader. Stokes no longer works for the company and has since moved to Tennessee. Storks does however, he's moved up in the company.

At the time, my personality was still growing (and always will be), my maturity was so-so, my attitude needed a lot of polishing and little did I know I'd learn to "manage" people, even though I was never a manager for this company. I didn't have a "filter" at work; I said what was on my mind, but was careful with my words most of the time, I made friends with co-workers and went out with those co-workers to party and have good times. It was, in a nutshell my college job that helped me pay bills and go out with friends.

People still accepted me for who I was because I meant well.

I no longer work for the company, as I've moved on and found better opportunities for myself that fit me better.

With Life Time Fitness, Inc., (I was hired in July 2009), I was beyond thankful to finally have a job again. At this point, I had not worked for Kwik Trip Inc., for a couple years and I had a couple odds and ends jobs in between: I wasn't jumping over the moon when I got these jobs because they were "dead end" to me and just a paycheck. Ouch? Not so much. Different boats for differents folks is what I say.

In a nutshell: I was back in aquatics and felt that it was where I needed to be and had something that finally could make me feel like a human being again.

What's different about LTF? It's a healthy way of life company and I'm not saying that just because it's part of our mission statement. I'm also not trying to sound savvy or sell anything. The general manager at the Lakeville location treats his employees very well. He's one of those once-in-a-blue-moon managers who is approachable and realistic. Because he treats us well, we have a better attitude and treat our Members with pride and respect, too!

As for this "filter" I'm thinking about with this post, I'm referring to walking a mile in someone elses shoes. Don't speak too soon, especially if it's just for gossip. I'm not gonna say anything more regarding that.

Professionalisim: when you take time to understand and you talk to people, and you don't talk down to other people just because you're "higher" than them on the ladder in a corporate setting. You lose credibility fast and you might as well just stand still in the sinking sand.

When can you take the filter down a notch though, yet still keep your credibility?? I'm in tough spot and I'm looking for answers. I understand it's also a learning experience and another part of management.

I take pride in my line of work. It's rewarding, it's fun, I'm constantly learning and the free membership isn't bad either. ;)

I have so much more to say, but don't need this to be a mile long.

Looking forward to meeting @RobertStanke (Corporate LTF employee) though at the end of this month!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Work can be a lot of fun, both on the job and off, but it's a challenge to know how far to go, how much of yourself you can expose to others, and that applies to people above and below you.

    In my experience, the best approach is to start with authenticity, never try to be someone you're not. The second rule is to realize that anything that happens might find its way into the public domain. Secrets are rarely kept.

    If you stick with honesty and integrity, things will usually work out for the best.

    ReplyDelete