Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Crazy, busy, but good stuff!

Dear Followers, Tweeps and Friends -

I told myself that 2010 was going to be a year of change for me. I also told myself no more "what ifs" or "wish I would haves" are allowed.

Here's what's been my life for the past month.

I have been pushing myself to the limit, nearly every day of every week so far. I pack snacks -try to eat my "7 small meals", I've been waking up at nearly 6:30 or 8 a.m. depending on what day of the week it is, I'm doing my best to run 1.5 miles every day at Life Time Fitness. If I don't get my run in, I don't kick myself. Tonight, I didn't get that run in because I tend to be a bit of a night owl even with my schedule and didn't get to bed early enough last night. I'm also lifting weights and taking two new classes: MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) and No Limits. I'm working on a Cycling class as well since I'm doing the Lakeville Life Time Fitness Triathalon March 14. I think that's the correct date.

Work at Life Time is busy, but fun and interactive. I appreciate my team, the lifeguards, swim instructors, our director and the Departments Heads in other areas of the club. We have a fantastic General Manager, Terrell Battle who I try and say hi to and touch base with every time I work. Which reminds me, I have a couple of things I want him to know before this week ends.

I teach 51 students every week and I have been pushing some students to their limit --the parents have been appreciating it, cheering their children along with me and their kids trust me, even when they think they cannot do the "impossible." When I left work last Saturday morning and walked through the Family Locker Room, I heard at least 3 kids saying "Bye Ms. Rachel!! Bye Ms. Rachel!!" It makes my heart smile. I'm getting feedback from our deck supervisor and director telling me how much my kids' parents adore my teaching skills and how "fantastic" they think I am. This is unbelieveably encouraging. I'm not really one to brag, but this makes me feel so good as a person, employee and mentor. I'm making myself more valuable to this company and this is part of our Vision Statement.

This evening when I met @AndreaKopfmann at Caribou in Lakeville, a lady (I think a manager) recognized me and asked me if I teach swim lessons at Life Time. Haha. :)

I've been interning at BRIO and we have a fabulous, brand-spankin new layout. I love it! I've been writing book reviews, making phone calls for book donations, speaking engagements, writing blogs and soon, I'll be going on a couple tours. I'm choosing to not disclose much information about that yet. Been learning a lot about writing and the classroom textbook information is coming back and I'm being reminded of good things.

What else is new? My schedule is nearly booked until beginning of April, but I make time for friends and family still, even if we have to plan out a couple of weeks or months if you wanna hang out with @SimonLeung. This is typical, right? FYI, until April, Saturday's and Sunday's work best, but I can make exceptions ;)

I still have not gone ice fishing (what the heck?!), I think I'm hitting the slopes soon to learn how to snowboard with @kareemy --I've been putting this on hold now for years. I used to ski all the time when I was younger.

I'm beginning to work on a project I hope to put on paper and present to Life Time Fitness someday with @robertstanke and other Life Timers, if they so choose to jump on board. I'll disclose details later. *cue heavy Beethoven piano music* :)

I believe this is about everything I've been doing with my time. I still don't have internet on my phone. I'm too stubborn for technology sometimes. Maybe it's for the better. :)

Thanks for reading tweeps. Comments/feedback are always welcome here.

3 comments:

  1. Being busy is good and it sounds like you have plenty of busy going on! Don't forget to treat yourself to the Life Time spa sometime to relax a bit!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that not having Internet on your phone is may be a good thing. The Internet has enslaved me at home, work, on the go, while I'm driving (that's soooo not safe), so maybe having a bit of peace and quiet is good!

    Love the post - and the part where you say you don't want to brag - that's not bragging at all! It's reconizing and validating your hard work giving you the results you want. Plain and simple. Keep it up, keep sharing your successes! Social Media (blogging, Twitter, etc.) is all about sharing successes so that the people who are drawn to you for you can be sincerely, genuinely happy for your ups, and feel for you on your downs. You've got a community for a reason =)

    And wow you're active and doing so many exciting things! Hope you have time for yourself! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post - and being busy is a great thing!

    ReplyDelete