Sunday, December 27, 2009

Any advice from the professionals? I'll take it!

The following credits @PRSarahEvans and http://www.sevansstrategy.com/

"Business is a contact sport.

Ther are millions and millions of conversations happening out there, right now. That's a powerful thing. Social media is essential if you start to intergrate it into your business or your organization. There are uses for customer service, for fundraising, for buiness development, for marketing, for advertising. The list goes on and on. You could have the strongest brand in the world or the best CEO, and if they can't connect with people, it's not going to work. It's about going to where your customers are talking about you and finding the right time to jump in and become a part of it. There is so much that goes into that and it always goes back to that strategy and buying from the right people and making sure that the right people are actually using the tools well.

Social media is a conversation.

Maybe we should talk."

I don't feel feel popular enough in media. What can I use as my voice so I can become heard? A blog is only going to get me so far.

Social media is connecting and using strategies and having the right tools.

An LV enV Touch isn't going to get me further just because I could have access to the internet --as in Facebook, Twitter, etc. I have, however, upgraded to a new phone, but it probably wouldn't be to @simonleung's standards. :)

I'm not worried about my daily voice and connecting with people since I do that at work; I know I have a great reputation there. @LifeTimeFitness has a mission and as for my line of work, I do my best to provide an educational, entertaining, fun and innovative experience of uncompromising quality. I connnect with Members daily in Aquatics and I do my best to intrigue non-members to become Members who are interested in putting their kids in our U-Swim School program. We offer great rates, reasonable prices and our instructors are first aid, cpr/aed certified.

Go ahead! Check it out for yourself:
http://www.blogger.com/www.lifetimefitness.mylt.com/index.jspa We are located in 19 states.

My biggest problem right now, is finding my voice in social media.

I wanted to create something called #RRTweetMeetUp. In fact, I just wrote a blog about it December 19, 2009. The intent of this was to have people meet at a restaurant in Savage, Minn., called Axel's Bonfire and your "ticket" in was to bring non-perishable foods. So far, there's two people confirmed; myself and another graduate from Minnesota State University, Mankato, who I graduated with named Rachel (@rachellaitala). Pretty sure I'm cancelling it until I have a bigger voice and know more about what I need to do to get the word out there. I tweeted about it consistently for a while, made a Facebook event (nobody has "confirmed" their attendance --I even invited a very popular figure in the midwest, but I'm assuming they won't attend) and I blogged about it.

I don't have a 'team' to work with, but I connect with people from Southern California and Los Angeles area almost daily; @PaulTTran @RochelleVeturis @ReporterHaley @GlobalPatriot and even in Portland @Scott_Bryant! Can't forget about the East Coast, though, I'm specifically referring to @PRCog.

These people know how powerful social media is, so I ask them for tips every so often, not that the other 1,000+ people that are following me don't have advice. Unfortunately, 160 characters is not going to get me much.

Another reason I majored in Mass Communications? It's hands-on. It intrigues me. It's so broad, yet so definied.

People don't have time to teach me and in this business, things change constantly --just had a conversation with @RochelleVeturis about this and I couldn't agree with her more. We are all always learning in social media, even the pros. The classroom didn't teach me enough and I haven't "worked" and/or really been truly exposed to social media in six months; I feel like I'm losing ground and the education I paid for is 'slipping' away.

I don't attend social media events enough, but I'm not sure if that's going to be the trigger to make something happen because I'm learning that having a drink at a bar is great, but I also don't really have much reason to go because I'm not sure why it is I'm even going.

Example: there's a room with 300 people in it and I want to make it to at least 20 people in the 3 hours I have. That's not going to happen . . . I'll make it to12 of them if I'm lucky since most conversations last 10-15 minutes? I'm a talker and very, very guilty of this crime, but I've also learned that I have two ears and one mouth for a reason. I need to always keep that in mind that my next biggest problem is I'm very personable. I like to connect with people and in order to really connect, I need more than 15 minutes of their time.

What also doesn't help is that I have so much I want to do (making a difference in the lives of other people) and realize that making a list would help, but I don't know where to start.

It also rolls back to the bigger problem that I'm not popular enough in social media to be noticed. How do you get noticed?

Experience is that thing you need and don't get it until just after you need it. This might just be me at the end of my internship with BRIO, a publishing company in the heart of downtown Minneapolis. But hey! At least I'm getting back into the ball park and I know I'll be to make great networking connections through the 3-month internship.

8 comments:

  1. Hey Rachel -

    Interesting post. There are lots of balls in the air when trying to organize an event. A few tips -

    * Get buy-in from a few (3-7) folks in advance that they'll come to your event and help promote it. People want to help with good/fun events so give them the chance. When planning make sure the time, location, & date work for those "insiders."

    * These people shouldn't have identical social circles - you don't want to get the same 50 people 5 times, get the same 50 people 4 times and other smaller groups 2-4 times. Meet new people.

    * Make sure nothing else is going on that weekend/week - most people can't go out and party multiple days/week. Plan and promote your event enough in advance that no one else plans something for that week as well. End of year events are tough, between office and client parties and the like.

    * Partner Partner Partner - it benefits everyone and you meet great new people entirely unintentionally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachael,

    A few thoughts.

    Engage with interesting people near you. Go to http://www.twellow.com/ and look for the Twellowhood link (Site is down as I write this. Find people that are in and near your community. Read their tweets and comment as appropriate.

    Use the advanced settings on http://search.twitter.com to search for keywords such as Tweetup, near your zip code. Found 14 related tweets. Link: http://search.twitter.com/search?q=&ands=tweetup&phrase=&ors=&nots=&tag=&lang=all&from=&to=&ref=&near=55401&within=25&units=mi&since=&until=&rpp=50

    Another idea is to check out the local Likemind event in a few weeks. http://likemind.us/#min Connect with the hosts before hand. They are part of a global coffee and conversation event once per month. Read: Organized. They will have some ideas on how to organize people. They will probably be more than happy to share tips with you.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so blessed to connect with you everyday Rachel! Glad to have you as part of my Twitter family/community.

    Thank you for giving us all a deeper insight to your life through this article!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel,

    Love the post. One thing that I would highly suggest is patience. Not everything (especially in social media) happens quickly. I think your voice is good and is growing everyday. I actually wish I could have gone to your tweetup. I checked out the link to your blog on it, but realized that it was a few thousand miles away from Cali. So if you could get an Web/IT consultant from OC to want to attend, and also get him to comment on your blog, I'd say that you are well on your way to developing your voice.

    Good luck!

    Dean Soto

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are looking forward to your contributions at BRIO. Have a safe New Year and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the post, Rachel!
    Tweet me anytime girl :)
    @simonleung

    ReplyDelete
  7. Building community is one of the hardest things to do in business and industry. That community, when built and fed properly, can really open up doors and opportunities for you - but it takes time. Sometimes, you want to throw your hands up and give up, but if you execute what you have learned about marketing and finding an audience, it will happen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Detachable type portable take wants you to use more convenient, louis vuitton factory outlet is the latest fashionable you loved not miss! Use simple sense imitation leather material collocation rhombohedrons case grain car suture contracted design, let every girl fondle admiringly attach elegant tassel hanging adorn, make package money looks have qualitative feeling more of the year's most TOP with chain belt carry design add luxuriant touch, show fashionable beauties the lasting appeal extremely willfulness sweet atmosphere, let you win everybody's eyes envy hin. Fashion and classic newspaper motifs cloth use, also can show the exotic design feeling collocation unique hardware carry modelling, whether mobile side back all can easily attract others before eyes and bag, then catch knit design bag greatly enhance the stereo feeling and administrative levels feeling even detail design are quite exquisite classic sheet is tasted, you never miss oh! Classic delicate case grain combining qualitative, litchi grain imitation leather using polychromatic matchs a skin simple package type and be able to bear or endure the color combination, let a person chocolate-making plus chain belt adornment, let package money look classier simple but with design feeling, can always inclinations collocation can feel it instantly modelling the seductive charm! The cortex restoring ancient ways is tie-in LV brand underlines institute wind, the opening of the clamshell type with belt buckles cleverly makes decoration, even the bag with hardware side meticulously still makes decoration, vogue ring joker bags, is the first choice of commuters: oh! Fashionable SuoTou is unbeaten popular spirit, the collocation with fine car line stripe delicate design, the ornament gives up fashionable feeling! Superman gas bag collocation college type detachable carry design, high-quality goods of double material clipping collocation, bag bag buckles can transform side pressure type of sweet attach long straps, optional transform carry back way, should not be belittled bag inside capacity model,Louis Vuitton Jewelry it is the most popular student population choose and buy package money!

    ReplyDelete