Monday, June 22, 2009

Next Chapter Is Here!

There's many new exciting things happening to me and I'd like to share them with you along with thoughts I have that I feel my readers need to understand, in regards to my very last post.

On Monday, June 15, through the American Red Cross, I took classes to once again proudly became a certified Lifeguard along with earning certifications for First Aid and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer.

The class was a roughly 24 hours in length, over a period of three days, with day No. 4 being the day to put all of the skills we learned together and apply them to "real life" situations.

A few things I've learned through First Aid and CPR/AED material:
- taking care of bee stings

- rescuing a victim who is having a seizure in the water

- how to perform shallow/deep water rescues that could be either spinal injury related, or the victim became restless (distressed) or went from active to passive in a matter of seconds (p.s. active to passive should never happen unless there's a serious medical issue)

- backboarding victims in shallow/deep water <-- deep water is VERY challenging - rescue breathing ratios for adult, child and infant

- CPR ratios for adult, child and infant

- there's many others . . . just named a few here

On Thursday, June 18, I passed the final scenario, without hesistation (I actually had to talk one of the other students through it) and shortly after packing up, one of my instructors offered me a 1-day job for the Lifetime Fitness Triathlon 2009 which takes place at Lake Nokomis in Minneapolis. I feel really happy about this since I was one of 29 students (was 31; one student became ill and the other couldn't finish the 300 yard prereq. swim) and I was taking this class very seriously; I'm convinced my instructor took notice.

By the way, @ACES4KIDS (on Twitter) is looking for volunteers: http://www.aces4kids.org/2/LTFTVolFactSheet.pdf
(help to Support ACES Partnernship with Life Time Fitness)

I'm on my way to joining the awesome team at Lifetime Fitness, as a lifeguard and applying their Vision and Mission Statements; only one interivew left. :)

On another note, I'd like to say I did not continue on into a higher education and come out with a bachelors of science degree and not intend to use it in one form or another.

There are six things I've very sure of.
I enjoy media, the general public, helping people, being in the water, being crazy, creative and being active more than anything on a daily basis.

This is why I chose Mass Communications and with my emphasis being in Public Relations, I couldn't have chosen a better route for myself.

If [you] know of anyone whose looking for some to do free lance work, send them my way. I'm also working on volunteer hours right now for different events, one of them being the link I just posted from @ACES4KIDS.

I talk highly and more in depth about Aquatics since that is more prevalent in my life, but I will continue to reach out in all forms of mass media as much as I can. Please don't underestimate my dedication to Mass Communications.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rachel09! Thanks for posting the link about volunteering for the Life Time Fitness triathlon on behalf of ACES. Just an FYI - ACES (Athletes Committed to Educating Students) is an after-school tutoring/mentoring program for urban 4th-8th graders in the Twin Cities. We are having a tough time recruiting volunteers for this event this year, so anyone who can help would be appreciated. In return for providing volunteers, Life Time provides a cash donation to our after-school program, which is especially helpful given the current economy.

    http://www.aces4kids.org/2/LTFTVolFactSheet.pdf

    Thanks again for helping spread the word. I really appreciate it!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete