Wednesday, February 25, 2009

40 Days til Easter

I texted my friend the other day regarding what I've been thinking about giving up for 40 Days and then I paused, when she was confused. No, not because I had 'offended' her, but because she had never heard of this before. Even though we both have the same beliefs.

I also talked with one of my roommates about cults when it comes to religion. Very interesting topics came to mind. There were no arguments. We fed off each other and we're very open minded about many topics. You name it, we've talked about it, or someday we will get there if it comes to the table.

Each religion has it's own ideas as to what's 'right' and what they want their people to do to stay true and not 'wander.'

I, for one, don't have a label. I have my beliefs, that's my story, which is still being written and I continue to plan on turning the pages and allowing the blanks to fill when the time is right.

Then again, for some, the next 40 days, in a sense, is like another chance to fix what you've done to break your New Years Resolution.

Why give something up though? This is what Catholics do after all.

Why not add something to your life for the next 40 days and do something good for the next door neighbor, surprise your best friend by picking up the insane tab for dinner, find an hour of you time, send out those 'Thinking Of You' cards, make plans for another vacation just to get away and focus on life. Plan a weekly family get-together dinner or find something fun to do as a family every week. The first quarter of the year is almost gone, already.
Perhaps you've just gotten engaged, or have only been married for 6 months, perhaps your newest relationship is going really well and you want to do something to let them know what's really going on in your head.

The options are endless. Add something good to your life, don't delete, no matter who you are or what you believe.

Today, instead of going for my Diet Coke, I grabbed a Yoplait Original 99 percent fat free Strawberry Cheesecake. It was just as satifying and refreshing as a Diet Coke, but healthier for me.

Tonight, I'm going to get one of my professors off my back -he's virtually yelled at me, which is a first from all the class I've taken at MN State University, Mankato- and turn in a revised assignment that I could have turned in two weeks ago [I have until May 1], but I have 4 other classes to concentrate on. Plus for that specific class, I had studied 15 hours or so for the test and had another assignment to turn in, plus I have another assignment due before next Friday and other homework to get turned in. Oh! And I have another huge huge test coming up at the end of March.
I wish . . . I wish . . . ahhhh, I'll keep that statement to myself.

1 comment:

  1. Good idea to add something good to you life instead of giving something up for 40 days. Why do we have to give it up or add it for only those 40 days before Easter though? Maybe we should add something good to our lives all year round instead of just the weeks of Lent.

    ReplyDelete