Saturday, September 11, 2010

Do you have a "Lanny" employee?

I'm attracted to people who love their job, who feed off of others inspiration and who've bascially found the bus and are in the right seat.

In roughly November 2009, I saw a commercial for a trailer of a new Disney movie called "Prep and Landing". It's a Christmas movie about prepping the house for Santa and ensuring he has a safe landing.

Lanny is a new guy at Prep and Landing who is, without a doubt, on the right bus and sitting in exactly the right seat.

Wayne has been working at Prep and Landing for more than 200 years and Lanny, at first, looks to Wayne as the guy he's been waiting to work with for a long, long time. Unfortunately, Wayne's attitude is all about the title of his job, not the impact he's making and even though Lanny is a pretty naive guy, he's not blind and learns how to quickly take charge.
To understand and see the whole picture I'm painting, you'd have to watch this 30-minute Disney movie special because there's a huge chunk of the story that is missing in these YouTube clips I'm sharing with you.
To get a pretty good glimpse of what it is I'm talking about (as in, the whole picture I’m trying to paint), check out this behind the scenes clip of the makers at Disney who are the creators of Prep and Landing; their ideas, what they wanted to create & the new 'spin' they wanted in a new Christmas movie special.

The point I wanted to get across is that in this 7-minute clip, you can easily see the difference between work ethics and who gives a damn about their job and how it impacts/affects those around them...for even years to come.






What first attracted me to this movie? Well, it's "so tinsel!!!" And there's plenty more where that came from!!

At the end of the day, when I’m not breaking down messages and thinking about how I see something portrayed, I really do enjoy Prep and Landing. It’s a fantastic movie that I laugh so hard along with –it’s actually kind of ridiculous…then again in my defense I’m just easily entertained – but it reminds me that when someone loves their job you can just see it in their work. Attitude is only part of the job description, no matter what yours is.

Show people what you can do and if you truly love it, you’ll intrigue them in ways you never thought possible.

Do you have a “Lanny” at your company or working within your business? If your answer is no, that is one spooky bus and I don’t want to know what you’ve been sweeping under the rug. To understand what I mean by that, click on the first link in this blog, which is the book review I did on Jim Collins’ “Good To Great”.

No comments:

Post a Comment